As these erratic and stressful times make it increasingly difficult to find tranquility and relaxation in our lives, one of the few options left is to create a peaceful haven in the comfort of our own home.
This is the reason why Zen principles applied in interior design have increased in popularity and become a trend of modern days. But what does zen actually mean? In Japanese, Zen refers to meditation. In interior design, it reflects balance, harmony, and relaxation.
Although Zen is not a proper design style and does not come with a book of strict rules, it is often associated with minimalism, simplicity, and purity of lines. It is rather a way of arranging your home and creating an atmosphere that offsets the stress and hassle of your daily routine. Fancy achieving that in your own home? Consider these 10 simple steps to turn your home totally Zen.
1. Eliminate clutter by keeping accessories and ornaments to a minimum. Clutter inhibits relaxation and distracts the mind. Keep only the essentials in clear view.
2. Remove Electronic Disturbances - and yes that includes your TV! More and more people are moving away from their brainwashing machines and opting for a media player that can be used to play music, watch documentaries or google, but that mindless TV watching is the first thing that needs to stop to Zen your mind!
3. Enhance Your Room With Scent - I am personally a huge fan of incense, but a homemade linen spray, scented candle or essential oils work just as well to add a calming atmosphere to your space.
4. Add Greenery - plants have an unexpected calming effect on your energy- add a pop of nature to your space but avoid flowers or anything that needs maintenance.
5. Choose Neutral Colours - Furniture, accessories and artwork - keep them neutral to avoid a cluttered feel.
6. Play With Light - For a fully relaxing space, replace harsh fluorescent lights with calming, nature-inspired or candle lights. Place different sources of light which will allow you to control the intensity and the areas to be lit. Salt lamps are also a great addition to any space needing Zen.
7. Incorporate Zen Elements - When we speak of Zen, it would include the five elements of Fire, Earth, Water, Metal and Wood. These are classic elements from various traditions but are usually incorporated to get a Zen look. Fire includes the fireplace, fire bowls and candles. Earth includes stones, pebbles and plants. Water can be added by placing images of water scenes or a water fountain. Metal can be seen in materials used for the furniture, frames and sculptures. Wood can also be seen in furniture or you can get that from bamboo and tree decorations.
8. Add Texture - In the form of rugs, candle holders, pillows or lighting, use texture to break a monotonous feel.
9. Display Serene Artwork - after all, art is about emotion, so channel peace and serenity with a simple and natural peace of art!
10. Keep It Tidy - from time to time we all feel a little rushed and we whirlwind through the house rushing off from one appointment to the next leaving a trail of mess behind us! The easiest way to handle mess is to ensure everything has a "home". If it is out of place, put it back. The more you practice this, the easier it will be to maintain a beautiful zen home space.
Have any tips you would like to add? Comment below!